Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Camp life :)

It's hard to believe that another week has already passed since my last post. Life at camp feels much slower than life in Rouen, for sure. It has been a welcome change, but certainly an adjustment.

I have trouble remembering which days are which, because they are all quite similar. Well, right after my last post, I was able to move into my own room. I am now living on the premier etage. It was very fun to get to make my own space special. I even made some makeshift curtains out of a bedsheet. :) I also used my jewelry and postcards as decorations around the room. The weather continued to be very chilly up until the last three days, so I collected many blankets. It was in the 50s quite a lot up until Monday, and now the weather has just been beautiful! The rain has stopped, and the sun is shining. The kids are very happy about that. Here are a few photos of my room. :)

I love the old lamp with the fringe. :) Most of the rooms here don't have any lamps, so it's a treat!

Generally, every day I help out with at least 2 of the meals of the day. Lunch is at 12:30, and dinner is at 7. The prep can take anywhere from 2-4 hours. It's been SO wonderful getting to learn more how to cook and also to get to know the ladies in the kitchen. The head cook is usually a young American lady named, Rachel. She speaks French fluently, so it's been nice to get to have the security of knowing that I have an explanation when I need it, but also an opportunity to learn some French too. Two dear, elderly French ladies are working in the kitchen during this two week camp as well as a young girl named Lynn. (I mentioned her in my last post. She and I do the cabin inspections). Tim and Elisabeth Knickerbocker also take turns working in the kitchen, so I've enjoyed the time spent with them as well. The meals are generally all "home-cooked," and I'm pretty sure if there's a "France 15" I've gained it. ;) No, actually the food here is much less artificial, and great care is taken in preparing and presenting it. Generally we start with a bread and salad course and then move on to the main dish. And there is always dessert. :) We slice fresh bread for all three meals as well.

When I'm not in the kitchen, I've been able to take some time for myself to read, catch up on correspondence, relax, and spend time with the Lord. It's been refreshing, but also a little difficult. I am such a social person, and sometimes it is hard feeling a little bit isolated here (especially because of the language barrier). But I do have many wonderful friends, and especially over the last few days, I've really connected with a few campers and other workers here at the camp. My French is continuing to improve very slowly, and it's been fun to try to talk with the campers more and get to know them. Some of them have British or American parents, so they know English. Others just know it from school. So we're both learning from each other. I've especially enjoyed my friendship with Lynn as we inspect the chalets daily. That's been an adventure. Many of the campers have decided to leave us notes in English and French, chocolate, candy, flowers, juice, granola bars, etc. etc. :) They also have enjoyed making little rock art formations outside their doors. It's been great.


 
One of my favorite little buddies is a boy named Gabriel. His mom is British, and his dad is French, so he speaks both languages. He has quite the imagination. During one meal this week, he sat next to me at the table and caught one of the hundreds (literally) of flies that we have here under his drinking glass. He then proceeded to torture and kill it with scissors. It's a comfort to know that boys will always be boys... ;) Here he is with me after he won a medal for a game.
 
I continue to enjoy the services in the evening here and am really learning the French children's songs! I was able to sing in their morning service on Sunday. I sang "Rejoice in the Lord" in French. Come to find out, it was very special to Mr. K's son-in-law, who is French. He is here to teach the teens in the mornings. He lost his father at the age of 15, and apparently that song was sung at his father's funeral, and his mom put the words from it up on their fridge for years after that. He was touched deeply. I felt rather inadequate as I stood up there to sing that morning, and I prayed that God would use it in even just a few hearts. I didn't know if this man really spoke much English, but today he came up to me and thanked me for the song. He spoke English very well! We were then able to have a very good talk about what he has learned from losing his father as well as what I have learned from losing my dad. It was so encouraging. I am so thankful for these sort of graces that are given each day. I would love to tell you all about many more that have come through the Knickerbockers, through creation, through God's Word, through so many ways.
 
Even so, I still struggle with discouragement and other things here. I had a wonderful talk with my mom on Saturday, and God used that to really help me refocus my heart and mind. I am so grateful for my amazing mom! She is a constant example to me.
 
I also have had time to get to know another American girl here, Mercedes. She is doing the laundry for the camp. What a great friend she has been! We have perfected the art of late-night, girl parties. :) We've had a couple movie nights with her laptop and any spoils we could find on the snack shelf in the kitchen. She finds joy in the little things, and it's nice to just simply enjoy those along with her. Here's a photo from one of our particularly chocolate-heavy parties. :)
 
 
Although the schedule generally remains the same from day to day here, things are also a lot less "structured" as some people might be used to at camp, so every day is also an adventure. I never know how much I'll be needed in the kitchen. Some days the meal is easier, and they don't need as much help. Monday was one of those days, and instead of cooking,  I went on a cleaning spree in the main building. I listened to a John Piper message while deep-cleaning the bathroom, and then I swept the bazillion flights of stairs in the building and few other spots. :) It was fun. Here's a picture of the building I was cleaning (also the one I live in). Also, check out the view out my bedroom window at sunrise!

 
Another example of the unexpected each day: because the weather was so nice today, the junior campers got to go to a local lake to swim and hang out. The K's offered for me and Mercedes to join, so we did! It was definitely a highlight of my trip. I also got to really build some relationships with a few campers. I taught them the game "Marco Polo" in the water too. It was a hit. :) Enjoy a few photos! Mercedes is in the third photo from the bottom.








 Well, once again... there is much more that I could write, but I better go for now. Thank you so very much again for your continued prayers! Please pray for these dear children at camp that God would use the messages from Acts that Tim is preaching to really open their hearts to the Gospel and toward following Christ in their day-to-day lives. Thank you also for your prayers for me and my own walk with the Lord! I long to be used by Him each day here.




No comments:

Post a Comment