Monday, June 16, 2014

Starting French class, getting sick, going to church, giving a concert, and other such things :)

This last week I started French classes at the Alliance Francais in Rouen. I take class for 3 hours every weekday morning. I have enjoyed it very much, but it has proven to be quite a challenge. I expected there to be some learning curve, but it seems I've been placed in a level that is much higher than where I should be right now. Kristi described it to me as basically that I've been placed in 3rd grade when I should be in kindergarten. :) I have studied a small bit of French, so I didn't need to be placed in a beginner's class. They advertise a new level 1 class starting every Monday, but it seems that they are short on teachers. Therefore, a few of us that are just starting out are in a class that's been meeting for 3-4 weeks already. There does not seem to be a very good solution except to take what I can from class and go over the homework extensively with Kristi. (Pray for her!)  :) Seriously though, we would both appreciate your prayers. I want to learn as much as possible, but it is difficult without a lot of explanation from Kristi.

I have had the opportunity to meet many wonderful friends at the class as well. My class currently has students from Japan, Australia, Germany, Mexico, and the United States, all of different ages and learning the language for various purposes. My German friend and Kristi, Stephanie, and I were able to go to a special event downtown on Friday night. It was called the Cathedrale Lumiere, and it was a huge multimedia presentation that was projected on the side of the Cathedrale Notre-Dame de Rouen. (Monet painted this cathedral numerous time in all seasons and weather.) It was spectacular! Three of my friends are coming over for lunch at the apartment on Wednesday, so I'm excited about that!
A moment of the Cathedrale Lumiere :)

I also became sick starting last Tuesday. It's just a cold, but it's really been sucking the strength out of me and slowing me down. I can't seem to beat it, so please pray that God would bring healing so that I can serve at full strength!

This week we were able to go to the church for prayer meeting and the morning service on Sunday. It's SO wonderful being at the church and getting to know the believers there! :) We were able to scope out what work needs to be done at the church with cleaning, organizing, etc., so all three of us are excited to get started on that this week. On Sunday, Stephanie and I got to share our testimonies in front of the church and offer some special music. We also took a lovely trip to the seaside in the afternoon with a deaf man from the church. One of my favorite sight-seeing trips so far for sure!

Today we did a classical concert in the nursing home in Kristi's neighborhood. It's been a long time since I enjoyed making music that much! I sang 5 songs in French that I have studied for my vocal work at college, played 3 folk-type violin pieces, and Stephanie and Kristi played a number of piano pieces. :) We ended with a sing-a-long of "La Vie en Rose," which was a popular song of the residents' youth.The people there seemed to really love the program. Afterwards we met so many dear people. One 94-year-
old man said it was the most beautiful concert he had ever been to, and that he only teared up in one song: "La Vie en Rose" because he had been married for 60 years and only recently lost his wife. So special. Another lady that sat in the front row was a musician herself. Her husband had played clarinet in the symphony of Rouen, and she had studied voice in a conservatory. She particularly liked my "Que-fais tu blanche tourterelle?" opera piece because she had studied it in her day. She said she thought it was very well done... very smooth, and that she was singing along to it as I sang. :) Please pray as Kristi has continuing opportunities to do concerts there that she would be able to build good relationships with the people there. I hope to do another concert with her there before I leave!

Well, this is about long enough, I think. I applaud anyone reading this for making it this far. :)
Loving the seaside :)

2 comments:

  1. I love the pictures and will be praying for you! :)

    Love,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rachel! :) It's so wonderful to hear from you. Thanks for praying. Hug all of your family for me. ;)

    Much love,
    Elisa :)

    ReplyDelete